About Me

My photo
United States
As a youth growing up on the outskirts of Fort Worth, Texas I became enthralled with the outdoors. I loved fishing, hunting, camping, backpacking and all things away from civilization. So much so that I didn't do all that well in my schooling. I didn't go to college then and decided on enlisting in the U.S. Armed Forces. My decision to go into the Air Force changed my way of thinking in a lot of ways. I learned discipline and leadership skills needed in my survival training that followed. My primary AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code) was Nuclear Weapon System Technician. Minute Man missiles at that time were spread out over the northern tier of states in Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Missouri. Some of this area was very remote and dangerous especially in the winter months. We were trained in mountain as well as cold weather survival. -30 degerees F. was common with winds up to 60 mph steady. Life can be short in these conditions. My secondary AFSC was Air Force Search And Recovery. Our team could be called to do searches for downed aircraft and survivors anywhere in the world. I still love the outdoors and sharing about surviving natural and man made disasters.

Monday, October 26, 2009

Be Prepared For the First Three Days !

The first 72 hours of a disaster are the most critical. This is when you will address injuries, loss of power, contaminated water, and possibly ruined foodstuffs. I recomend a survival kit with first aid, communication, food, water, and possible shelter solutions. See my links for guidance and facts in this area. What happens in this critical period before help arrives determines the outcome.
I will write later about individual survival related to being lost in wilderness situations and child education and preperation for camping and hiking trips. Also on how these subjects pertain to your pets.

Thanks for reading and come back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment