About Me

My photo
United States
As a youth growing up on the outskirts of Fort Worth, Texas I became enthralled with the outdoors. I loved fishing, hunting, camping, backpacking and all things away from civilization. So much so that I didn't do all that well in my schooling. I didn't go to college then and decided on enlisting in the U.S. Armed Forces. My decision to go into the Air Force changed my way of thinking in a lot of ways. I learned discipline and leadership skills needed in my survival training that followed. My primary AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code) was Nuclear Weapon System Technician. Minute Man missiles at that time were spread out over the northern tier of states in Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Missouri. Some of this area was very remote and dangerous especially in the winter months. We were trained in mountain as well as cold weather survival. -30 degerees F. was common with winds up to 60 mph steady. Life can be short in these conditions. My secondary AFSC was Air Force Search And Recovery. Our team could be called to do searches for downed aircraft and survivors anywhere in the world. I still love the outdoors and sharing about surviving natural and man made disasters.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Prepare Yourselves and Get to Know Your Neighbors!

I sincerely hope to help inform and call others to action for better outcomes in disaster situations. If more of us prepare ourselves think how much burden would be lifted from the agencies like The Red Cross and Salvation Army who come to the disaster areas to help. They could do so much more for the injured and those trapped whose emergency supplies got ruined, washed away or just didn't prepare themselves. I love and respect the folks who respond but we shouldn't count on them to be everywhere all the time.

Let your neighbors know they can count on you and ask if you can count on them. Educate them on potential emergencies in your area and make an agreement to keep enough supplies for each other. If for some reason one's supplies become ruined or unreachable you'll be covered. This works well in rual areas where neighbors generally have a strong bond. In urban areas this could be adderssed by Neighborhood Watch or Homeowner Associations. If everyone kept twice what they needed for 72 hours then a pantry could be formed and shared to help those in need.

We can be our own relief agency. When the Red Cross comes, offer them a bowl of soup! They deserve it!

Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment