About Me

My photo
United States
As a youth growing up on the outskirts of Fort Worth, Texas I became enthralled with the outdoors. I loved fishing, hunting, camping, backpacking and all things away from civilization. So much so that I didn't do all that well in my schooling. I didn't go to college then and decided on enlisting in the U.S. Armed Forces. My decision to go into the Air Force changed my way of thinking in a lot of ways. I learned discipline and leadership skills needed in my survival training that followed. My primary AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code) was Nuclear Weapon System Technician. Minute Man missiles at that time were spread out over the northern tier of states in Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Missouri. Some of this area was very remote and dangerous especially in the winter months. We were trained in mountain as well as cold weather survival. -30 degerees F. was common with winds up to 60 mph steady. Life can be short in these conditions. My secondary AFSC was Air Force Search And Recovery. Our team could be called to do searches for downed aircraft and survivors anywhere in the world. I still love the outdoors and sharing about surviving natural and man made disasters.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Your Pets and How to be Prepared

We all love our pets and want to protect them if possible. There are pet first aid kits and survival kits out there but, in my opinion, are incomplete. To go along with them I recomend a muzzle for dogs and a pair of thick leather gloves for cats. A pet in pain may or may not trust us completely and would possibly lash out when we try to treat their injuries. Try to have an assistant. The owner would be best for restraining and conforting them as the assistant does the first aid. Pain killers are risky as dosages for different pets vary so much.
 DO NOT give pain relievers without specific instructions from a vet ahead of time. It is a good idea to talk to your vets next time you see them and ask about these things.
A leash, of course, should be added to your supplies and get your pet used to a harness. A harness is much better for them in rough conditions. Remember to add water for them to your supplies and keep pet food pouches or pop top cans.
For more info check out www.aspca.org/pet-care/disaster-preparedness/

Thanks for reading,
Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment